Latest News

06/09/2016 Next Council Meeting read more »
11/06/2016 Verge and Footway Parking Restrictions read more »
31/05/2016 Wendover HAll Extension read more »

Humberston Parish Council


What is a Parish Council?

In England, parish councils were formed in 1894 to take over local oversight of social welfare and civic duties in towns and villages. Before this date a variety of groups based around ecclesiastical (church) parishes had responsibility for these matters, in a system of local government that dated back to the feudal system of the 8th century.

Today, the promotion of Local Area Management has led to an increase in the number of parish councils within urban and rural communities. Not every civil parish has a parish council, smaller ones - typically with an electorate under 200 - only have parish meetings.

Parish councils are often confused with the Church of England's Parochial Church Councils (PCCs), which are concerned with the welfare of a particular religious community. Whilst both Parish Councils and PCCs have common roots in the old vestry system, Parish Councils are a civil body and are not linked to the church.

Humberston Parish Council

Humberston Parish Council is made up of twelve elected members and holds its meetings in the main area at Wendover Hall, Humberston.The Parish Council usually meet at 7.00 pm on the first Tuesday of each month and all members of the public are welcome to attend.

Interesting facts about Humberston
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Humberston like this:

HUMBERSTONE, a parish, with a village, in Caistor district, Lincoln; adjacent to the Humber, 1½ mile E of Waltham r. station, and 4 SE by S of Great Grimsby. Post town, Grimsby. Acres, 8, 145; of which 5, 215 are water. Real property, £3, 514. Pop., 277. Houses, 56. The property belongs to Lord Carrington. A small Benedictine abbey was founded here, in the time of Henry II.; and was given, at the dissolution, to John Cheke, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Carrington. The church was rebuilt in 1710; is a brick structure, with a tower; and contains several monuments, one of which is to Mathew Humberstone, Esq., who was a foundling, took the name of the parish, acquired great riches, died in 1709, and left £300 to erect his monument, £1, 000 to rebuild the church, £1, 100 to erect a grammar school and alms houses, and an annuity of £40 toward the vicar's income. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a girls' free school.

Details of our cookie policy may be found here.